How antioxidants help your skin immunity
The body produces substances called free radicals, which in high amounts, can damage cells and even alter genetic material. Free radicals are also produced by exposure to pollution and sunlight. Too much free radicals leads to oxidative stress, which can result in chronic illnesses. Fortunately, antioxidants combat them, repair DNA, and maintain health9.
Antioxidants for healthier skin
Here are some antioxidants that can help your skin and its ability to protect your immunity:
- Vitamin C protects against UV rays, lessens photodamage, speeds up wound healing, and is a factor in collagen synthesis10.
- Vitamin E is found in skin oil. It helps in forming a natural barrier to lock in moisture11.
- Vitamin A, another antioxidant for skin, plays a role in the production of collagen, which helps decrease fine lines and wrinkles. It can also improve skin color by promoting the formation of new blood vessels12, 13.
- Vitamin B6 controls mood and sleep, thereby helping prevent breakouts and premature aging14.
- Vitamin D is activated through exposure to sunlight, but is also found in food sources15. A deficiency of this vitamin is linked to skin problems like psoriasis and atopic dermatitis16.
- Topical zinc can help protect against UV rays, and can be used to treat infections, inflammatory skin conditions, and pigmentary disorders17.
- Copper promotes skin health, helping reduce fine lines and wrinkles, and improving skin elasticity and wound healing18.
- Another antioxidant for skin, iron, fights oxidative stress and protects against photodamage. Some research suggested that iron helps wounds heal faster19.
- Selenium helps both to protect your immunity and delay signs of aging. A deficiency of this mineral has been found to be closely related to aging as well as aging-related diseases due to oxidative stress20.
Antioxidants for skin help fight free radicals that come from internal and external factors, such as smoke, pollution and ultraviolet radiation from sun exposure. These antioxidants help repair skin, slow down signs of skin aging, and can help protect against skin conditions.