What to do when you are suffering from cold and flu (influenza)?
Whether you are suffering from a common cold or flu (influenza), your doctor will always recommend the best treatment and medication. Alternatively, there are a few other steps you can take to relieve infection symptoms as your body is fighting the illness.
- Stay home and get plenty of rest. Let your body do the work in peace and avoid spreading the flu virus to coworkers or colleagues by staying at home
- Stay hydrated. Opt to drink water, fruit juices, chicken soup or a sports drink to ensure that your body is adequately hydrated. Sufficient hydration is important for you to avoid congestion in your sinuses and lungs.
- Increase humidity. Vaporisers and humidifiers can help to ease nasal congestion, especially if the air in your home is dry.
1. Eccles, Ronald; Weber, Olaf (2009). Common cold. Basel: Birkhäuser. p. 3. ISBN 978-3-7643-9894-1. Archived from the original on 8 May 2016.
2. Nguyen HH et al, What is the global incidence of influenza?
3. How to prevent infections. Harvard Medical School, 2016. (Accessed 10/02/2020, at https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/how-to-prevent-infections.)
4. Gombart AF, Pierre A, Maggini S. A Review of Micronutrients and the Immune System-Working in Harmony to Reduce the Risk of Infection. Nutrients 2020;12.